Here are my notes from the presentations:
Martin Shields – Director Regional Economic Institute and Professor of Economics at CSU
· Current unemployment rate in metro Denver is 7.4% (105,000)
· 58,000 jobs added in past 30 months· The area still needed to pick up about 50,000 more jobs before we get back to pre-recession numbers and a truly healthy economy.
· Projected unemployment by end of 2013: 6.4 to 6.1%
· Projected job growth in 2013: 31,000 to 34,000 jobs
· Top growth industries: Healthcare, Energy and Professional Services
Kim Day – Manager of Aviation DIA
· South Terminal, 519 room Westin Hotel and light rail construction well underway.
· DIA currently fifth busiest airport in United States.
· DIA Set record for passenger traffic in 2012 with 53 million.
Mayor Hancock - Denver
· Announced three high priority development areas: South Platte River Corridor, Downtown Corridor, Aerotropolis
· Projected impact over next three decades: 105,000 new jobs, $5.4 Billion economic impact, 34 million new square feet of commercial space, 23,000 housing units
Mayor Hogan – Aurora
· Announced Alliance to Advance, or A3, a coalition made up of the City of Aurora, the Aurora Economic Development Council, Adams County Economic Development Corp. that will meet monthly to plan for major growth along the I-225 corridor and throughout Aurora.
· Discussed the tremendous growth within the Anshutz Medical Campus